Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Follicle Faith

My aunt and stepmother both have some serious "Follicle Faith". No, it is not a new religion -- just a misplaced faith in me not losing my hair during my chemotherapy treatment. Every friggin' time they call me, they say things like, "Maybe you'll be the first one not to lose hair" or "You're too anxious to shave your head -- wait at the last possible minute". Ugh.

Hair is falling out as we speak. Not in clumps yet, but more than usual. Three medical professionals told me that I would lose my hair based on my chemo cocktail: my surgeon, the cancer center pharmacist who explained the chemicals and a nurse. The taxol and the carboplatin in my chemo mix make you lose your hair.

I wish these well-meaning women would cease their "Follicle Faith". It is bad enough I have been crying everyday for fear that day could the day clumps starts coming out. My head will be shaved on Monday; I am not waiting to see my scalp revealed. I have to get my wig styled on my shaved head. The wig is snug right now and I need to make sure it stretches a bit before I go back to work in two weeks. Believe me when I say I've been mourning impending loss of joy my hair gives me. My reality is temporary hair loss.
.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment